A place is segmented into one of five types.
The five place types are:
- headquarters - A headquarters of other places. May belong to another headquarters.
- branch - Belongs to a headquarters. Not the headquarters of other places.
- independent - Does not report to any headquarters. Is not the headquarters of other places. May include some offices for individual professionals, but never individual professionals themselves, nor kiosks.
- individual - A professional individual.
- kiosk - A standalone kiosk.
A place's type is important for understanding its location and corporate linkage.